Reasons
Reasons, there are always reasons. Purpose is the reason for which something is
done or created or for which something exists.
The Apostle Paul speaking to the Romans said “And we know that all
things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the
called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28.
That is all things meaning, all things both good and bad; everything.
It's difficult when something unpleasant happens that makes
us think “Why me?” to actually turn it around and think “Thank you for this
blessing.” But, why not take a bad situation and find a positive light?
I was six months late in getting my mammogram. I finally got around to it a couple of months
ago. I usually go in October, the month
we “Think Pink”. Life got busy (there was an amazing wedding in October, but
that's not an excuse) and I just forgot about it. I remembered in March, the month that my
mother passed away, from breast cancer and several years later my dear friend
Steff also passed away from the same disease.
On March 12, I had the routine mammogram. On March 13, the results came back with an
area of concern needing a spot compression, a further magnified look at an area
of microcalcifications. That was scheduled on March 20, a day of significance,
as that was the day my mother and Steff passed away. The spot compression film proved I needed a
biopsy. Cause for concern...yes.
I promptly had my records transferred to the Mary Babb
Breast Center at WVU Medicine. The
reason I did that is another story that I will not get into now. I was scheduled for a biopsy on April 2. Two days later, a diagnosis of Breast
Carcinoma in Situ, Stage 0, was what I heard coming across my cell phone. I had breast cancer, but, I was told if one
has to have breast cancer it was the best breast cancer to have. Imagine my sarcastic thought to that
statement!
Things began to move fast and I was scheduled to meet with a
surgeon, an oncologist and a radiation oncologist, a few days later. At those
appointments I learned a lot. Blood was
drawn for genetic testing. Just hearing
“genetic testing” gave me a feeling that I was doomed. I also had pre-admission testing. Yes, surgery was in my near future. The genetic testing outcome would determine
the type and the components of the surgery.
The wait began for the genetic test results. It moved quicker than thought. On April 15, a call from Morgantown showed on
my phone. A quick deep breath and I
answered. It was my surgeon's PA. The results from the testing, all negative,
no markers. I was thrilled!
My path was now defined, a lumpectomy followed by radiation
therapy and a 5-10 year course of an aromatase inhibitor as this mass is
progesterone postive, meaning it is feeding off the progesterone hormone that
my thyroid continues to make. Having had
a complete hysterectomy a few years ago, hormones were no longer being released
from my ovaries, but my thyroid continued to chug along.
With a more defined path in front of me, I was still angry
that cancer was picking in me. But, I
was also relieved with all findings so far.
Surgery was scheduled for Wednesday May 1. Surgery day came
fast, but yet not quick enough. WVU
Medicine made the process seamless and quick.
My surgeon is amazing. I was home
(and providing anesthesia related comic relief) from Morgantown that evening
after surgery.
I am in the recovery and healing mode now. I go back to see my surgeon in a few
days. I should have a complete pathology
report before I see her. At the end of May I will go back to see my
oncologist. He will present my future
path for radiation and the anti-hormone chemo type pill.
How does this all tie back to purpose? I've definitely been
nudged by God. One thing is I am so very
blessed. Blessed to have caught this
early. Blessed to have so many praying
over me from all walks of life. I feel
every prayer and all the incredible love from those prayers. Blessed to have family and friends supporting
#TeamT. I truly believe there is a
reason for everything. I think my
purpose right now is to tell my story, a positive, quick moving story to good
health. My story as a fighter. And, my story is by no means finished
yet.
Paul could not have stated it any more clearer. Believing what he said in Romans 8:28, leads
to profound peace, a powerful joy, confidence, a feeling of being so very
blessed, wisdom, strength, and steadfast love. Everything that we meet in life
somehow works for our best. Not
necessarily what we may think is best, but, for our purpose.
#GodsGotThis #WalkByFaithNotBySight
#GodsGrace
Comments
Post a Comment