Marked, taped, and tattooed
The CT Simulation in preparation for radiation therapy is done. It was a bit uncomfortable, but not that bad. And it was fairly quick. Mt only complaint was the male radiation therapist who was doing the set up. He didn't communicate well and I was uncomfortable because he didn't tell me what he was doing. I was positioned in a manner that I could not see what he was doing. I am one who likes to know what is happening.
I now have a pillow mould of my upper body to ensure I am in the same position for all radiation treatments, 16 in all. I'm told that all women with breast cancer had to endure 32 treatments with a boost dosage of radiation on the last week. Newer technology has made it so the same dosage given in 32 treatments can now be given in 16. I'm lucky in that the doctor feels I won't need a boost on my last week. This is attributed to the amazing work of my surgeon.
Because my this is my left breast, during the actual radiation treatment, I will be doing some breath holding, 30 seconds of holding my breath to be exact. I thought it would be fairly easy, but it was a bit trying at first. But, I finally did it. This breath holding technique allows my heart to fall deeper into my chest wall therefore taking the heart out of the radiation field. This is a good thing!
The last thing that was done was the markings, taping and tattooing. Too bad this wasn't done with pink and purple, unfortunately the markings are black and covered with waterproof tape. Those will be definitely staying for awhile. It seems my body holds tape better than most. The steri-strips placed after the second surgery never fell off, those were removed by the nurse practitioner.
So, I am ready to get this started. The sooner, the better. Anxiously awaiting the call for the appointment. The radiation therapy is being done locally. As soon as it's over, I go back to WVU Medicine for a follow up and the next step, the chemo pill, Arimidex.
My next post will be after the first radiation treatment. Stay tuned...
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1Thessalonians 5: 16-18
I now have a pillow mould of my upper body to ensure I am in the same position for all radiation treatments, 16 in all. I'm told that all women with breast cancer had to endure 32 treatments with a boost dosage of radiation on the last week. Newer technology has made it so the same dosage given in 32 treatments can now be given in 16. I'm lucky in that the doctor feels I won't need a boost on my last week. This is attributed to the amazing work of my surgeon.
Because my this is my left breast, during the actual radiation treatment, I will be doing some breath holding, 30 seconds of holding my breath to be exact. I thought it would be fairly easy, but it was a bit trying at first. But, I finally did it. This breath holding technique allows my heart to fall deeper into my chest wall therefore taking the heart out of the radiation field. This is a good thing!
The last thing that was done was the markings, taping and tattooing. Too bad this wasn't done with pink and purple, unfortunately the markings are black and covered with waterproof tape. Those will be definitely staying for awhile. It seems my body holds tape better than most. The steri-strips placed after the second surgery never fell off, those were removed by the nurse practitioner.
So, I am ready to get this started. The sooner, the better. Anxiously awaiting the call for the appointment. The radiation therapy is being done locally. As soon as it's over, I go back to WVU Medicine for a follow up and the next step, the chemo pill, Arimidex.
My next post will be after the first radiation treatment. Stay tuned...
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Comments
Post a Comment