One Step Forward...
...two steps back.
Monday (May 6) began well. For the first time after surgery, I showered and dressed myself without assistance. Little victories are the best!
I was feeling proud of myself for my earlier accomplishments, when the phone rang...a call from Morgantown. More specific, it was my surgeon. Pathology results were in from my surgery. The call brought about a mixed bag of news therefore a mixed of emotion. The cancer in my left breast had not upstaged or proved to be anything other than DCIS, Ductual Carcinoma in Situ. DCIS is noninvasive, so no worries about metastasis. However, I need to go back for further tissue removal. The microscope found some atypical cells,benign, but atypical and in another area of the tissue that was excised (really sucked out), did not get enough of a margin. Being a healthy person who tolerated anesthesia well, she feels it's best to grab those atypical cells and get a better margin. I agree! I want this devilish stuff out of my body. She plans to go in through the same incision she made on May 1. A bit of an ouch and this will delay the follow up treatment a bit, but it's a needed procedure. So today I am preparing to go back to Morgantown this evening and back to the hospital tomorrow.
I'm sure I'll be providing more post-anesthesia comic relief sometime tomorrow afternoon.
I'm ready for this to be over. Stay tuned. More to come.
Monday (May 6) began well. For the first time after surgery, I showered and dressed myself without assistance. Little victories are the best!
I was feeling proud of myself for my earlier accomplishments, when the phone rang...a call from Morgantown. More specific, it was my surgeon. Pathology results were in from my surgery. The call brought about a mixed bag of news therefore a mixed of emotion. The cancer in my left breast had not upstaged or proved to be anything other than DCIS, Ductual Carcinoma in Situ. DCIS is noninvasive, so no worries about metastasis. However, I need to go back for further tissue removal. The microscope found some atypical cells,benign, but atypical and in another area of the tissue that was excised (really sucked out), did not get enough of a margin. Being a healthy person who tolerated anesthesia well, she feels it's best to grab those atypical cells and get a better margin. I agree! I want this devilish stuff out of my body. She plans to go in through the same incision she made on May 1. A bit of an ouch and this will delay the follow up treatment a bit, but it's a needed procedure. So today I am preparing to go back to Morgantown this evening and back to the hospital tomorrow.
I'm sure I'll be providing more post-anesthesia comic relief sometime tomorrow afternoon.
I'm ready for this to be over. Stay tuned. More to come.
Comments
Post a Comment